A group of people at Waterville Valley are being recognized for saving the life of a teenager who stopped breathing and had no pulse while attending a ski-related camp this summer.
The 14-year-old boy had just finished working on a trampoline last month as part of ski-jumping practice at Waterville Valley’s dry land training camp.
“He sat down on the pad and passed out,” said ski coach Wes Preston. “And I went over to look at him and immediately thought there was something wrong.”
“He was out,” said Waterville Valley staff member Peter Stokloza. “He was just lying flat, not responsive at all.”
Stokloza said he is trained in CPR but has never had to use it. He said he realized the teen wasn’t breathing, so he and his staff jumped in and started chest compressions. A ski patrol member ran over with an automated external defibrillator, or AED, a device used to restart the heart.
“It says, ‘Checking pulse,’ and it said, ‘Shock advised,’ and so we pushed the button and he got a shock,” Preston said.
“And immediately he gasped his first breath after a while, so it was exciting to see him come back,” Stokloza said.
On Wednesday, those credited with saving the teen’s life were honored for their quick action and teamwork. Stokloza was presented with a new AED.
Witnesses said that when the teen was put in the ambulance, he was sitting up and soon began talking. He’s now doing fine.