Jan's Blog

NH Ski Slope Visits Up

August 8, 2013

The New Hampshire Sunday News ran a story last weekend about the state of the ski industry:  “NH ski slope visits up, but national interest down,” by Paul Feely.

Unfortunately, I can’t find the story online to provide a link, but here are a few quotes:

“While a report released last week claims interest in snow sports is on the decline nationally, statistics show that in New Hampshire, interest in hitting the slopes last winter was at its highest level in a decade,” Feely wrote.

“SnowSports Industries America of Washington, D.C., on July 29 released its 2013 Snow Sports Participant Study, a comprehensive look into last season’s snow sports participants across six categories: alpine skiers, snowboarders, cross-country skiers, freeskiers, telemark skiers and snowshoers, providing a detailed account of what they did on and off the slopes during the 2012-13 season.”

>> Read the SIA 2013 Participant Study

“While that report shows that participation in snow sports nationally declined 3 percent from 2011-12 to 201-13, a similar report issued by Ski NH shows visits to slopes in the Granite State were UP 20.9 percent over last year, and up 4.7 percent over a 10-year average.  Alpine ski areas recorded a total of 2,276,370 alpine skier visits.”

>> Read Ski NH’s press release

Waterville Valley’s CEO, Chris Sununu, was reported as saying, “Waterville Valley was open for 147 days, the longest ski season in its history…That translated into a 23 percent increase in visits by skiers and other snow sports enthusiasts in last year over the prior winter.

“New Hampshire businesses rely heavily on the ski industry.  An economic impact study conducted after the 2009-10 season showed a total of $910 million spent by guests visiting N.H. ski areas.  Of that total, only 12 percent was spent directly at ski areas, with the remaining 88 percent spent on ski visit-related expenses such as lodging, restaurants, gas, tolls and retail.”

Excerpted from the New Hampshire Sunday News, NH ski slope visits up, but national interest down,” by Paul Feely.

Image from SnowSports Industries America

About Jan Stearns

I've been living in and loving New Hampshire's White Mountains for most of my life. I moved to Waterville Valley in 1981 and quickly realized why it was dubbed a Yankee Shangri-la. Once you’ve experienced Waterville Valley, you’ll want to call it yours. The great team of Realtors at Waterville Valley Realty can help you find a Waterville Valley home that fits your lifestyle and budget. 1-888-987-8333.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Waterville Valley. Once you’ve experienced it, you’ll want to call it your own.

Market UpdateResort InsiderLinksWaterville Valley Resort