The Waterville Valley Planning Board will hold a public hearing during its regularly scheduled session on Thursday, Dec. 8 at 8 a.m. at the Rust Municipal Building regarding a proposal to create a special zoning area at Snow’s Mountain.
The proposed changes include creating a special zoning area on the parcel of recreation zoned land at Snow’s Mountain (the flat lot at the base of Snow’s Mountain bordered by Cascade Ridge, the road, tennis courts and Snow’s Mountain ski hill – the ski hill itself is not part of this zone). The purpose of this special zoning area is to allow for buildings, training facilities and/or fields to support an on-site sports-academic institute. Within this special zoning area the following regulations shall apply:
1. Uses by right are limited to classrooms, dormitories, cafeterias, administrative space, training facilities, ski lifts and trails, parks, playgrounds, swimming pools, and playing fields.
2. Dormitory facilities will be used only to house tuition students that enroll in sports institute-sponsored athletic training programs. In addition to student occupants, coaches and/or chaperones of the students housed for a currently active program may also occupy up to 15% of the dormitory rooms/beds. The facility can be used to house one full-time caretaker. Ninety-nine persons is the maximum number to be housed.
3. By special exception other uses of the dormitory may be temporarily authorized by the ZBA if (1) it supports the mission of the institute, (2) such use shall not be contrary to the public interest or detrimental to the business interests of the commercial inns and lodges and (3) the proposed use will not adversely affect the adjacent area or result in the diminution of property value.
4. Restaurants, lounges, and retail are prohibited as accessory uses by right. Commercial offices are permitted as an accessory use by special exception of the ZBA if they directly support the institute programs.
5. With the exception of the foregoing, all other provisions of the zoning ordinance otherwise applicable to recreation zoned land shall remain in full force and affect.