Are you planning on freezin’ for a reason in Waterville Valley on Saturday, Nov. 25? It’s the 5th Annual Cold Turkey Plunge, and if you’re taking a dip in the icy waters of Corcoran Pond, please check out these Plunge Tips.
- If you used Firstgiving for fundraising, print out your donor list and bring it with you to registration (which starts at 11:30 a.m. on Corcoran Pond beach)
- If you did NOT use Firstgiving, go to watervilleadaptive.com and download a fundraising form, sign the release and bring it with you to registration.
- Bring all monies raised offline to registration (checks should be made payable to Waterville Valley Adaptive Sports).
- Park your car in the Town Square parking lots.
- Restrooms and locker rooms are available in the Ice Arena, and restrooms are available in Town Square (lower level).
- Dress warmly and don’t get ready to plunge until the last possible moment.
- The plunging begins at 2 p.m. with a snow dance followed by the sacrifice of a Waterville Valley snowmaker. After that, Captain Tom Turkey will send small groups of plungers into Corcoran Pond, so you may have a short wait before you take the plunge.
- If you and your team are in costumes, please make sure the judges on the beach see you prior to the plunge.
- Be sure to wear something on your feet (water shoes, old sneakers, flip flops, etc.). If your feet get cold and cramped, an otherwise enjoyable plunge can become very uncomfortable!
- Take advantage of the hot tubs on the beach! Hop in after you plunge to take the chill off (but, please don’t hog the hot water…others need to jump in!).
- Have your support team on the beach where you can find them quickly after you plunge. They should have dry towels and something to keep you warm until you can change out of your wet clothes.
- Change into dry clothes and hang around Town Square to greet Santa, who will arrive by dog team at 3:30 p.m. Grab a bite to eat in the Town Square, watch the tree lighting at 7 p.m., followed by fireworks over Corcoran Pond.
Have questions? Call Captain Tom Turkey (aka Larry Gannon) at 508-789-1804 or email him at email@example.com.