Nav Menu

Jan's Blog

Dumpster Fire

January 27, 2015

The Waterville Valley Department of Public Safety was called out on Monday, Jan. 26 to Forest Rim Condominiums for a dumpster fire. The fire was extinguished in short order, but this is a timely reminder about properly disposing of fireplace ashes.

Ashes should never be placed in a regular trash dumpster, nor should ashes be left on or under a wooden structure like a porch or deck or next to a firewood pile, or up against a garage. While it may seem obvious, all ashes should be stored in a fire-resistant (metal) container with a tight fitting cover (buckets made especially for storage of ashes are available at many area retailers). They should NEVER be disposed of in a plastic garbage bag or can, a cardboard box, or paper grocery bag. Most Waterville Valley condominium associations have an ash can (Forest Rim does!) that should be used to dispose of fireplace ashes.

Dumpster fires can be dangerous.  They pose a hazard to nearby structures and the toxic gasses given off from combustion.

Images and information from the Waterville Valley Department of Public Safety.



About Jan Stearns

I've been living in and loving New Hampshire's White Mountains for most of my life. I moved to Waterville Valley in 1981 and quickly realized why it was dubbed a Yankee Shangri-la. Once you’ve experienced Waterville Valley, you’ll want to call it yours. The great team of Realtors at Waterville Valley Realty can help you find a Waterville Valley home that fits your lifestyle and budget.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Waterville Valley. Once you’ve experienced it, you’ll want to call it your own.

Market UpdateResort InsiderLinksWaterville Valley Resort