If you’re not hitting the slopes at Waterville Valley today, odds are you’ve joined the throngs at malls and big box stores for Black Friday shopping.
Tomorrow – Saturday, Nov. 26 – is Small Business Saturday, a nationwide campaign designed to encourage people to shop locally.
For those of us who live, work and play in Waterville Valley, please plan on doing some of your holiday and vacation shopping right here in the valley.
Independently owned businesses provide numerous benefits to our local economies. According to recent studies*:
- When you spend $100 at an independent business, $68 returns to the local community. Spend that same amount at a national chain and it drops to $43.
- Small business accounts for 75% of all new jobs.
- Locally owned businesses reinvest in the local economy at a 60% higher rate than chains and internet retailers.
- Small businesses create more than half the non-farm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Locally owned and operated businesses create higher-paying jobs for you and your neighbors.
Let’s keep our local economy and community strong and our friends and neighbors working!
* Sources: U.S. Chamber of Commerce – Small Business Nation; Civic Economics – Andersonville Study of Retail Economics; Civic Economics – San Francisco Report on Retail Diversity; U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.